A Reflection on 100% vs. 60% Free and Reduced Schools

While I was finishing my master's degrees it seemed I had to read numerous articles. So much so that the Christmas present of a Nook might have been the only thing that allowed my laptop to last longer than a year.

As I read through articles some stuck with me others I let go.  This was all variable upon my interests and mood at the time of my readings. Perhaps more so like my students if I could find a reason to relate to it I took more care in my reading and did less scanning.

Throughout there were a few points that stuck with me. I'll summarize as I can't recall which articles they were taken from.
-  Low SES Schools were less Democratic and More Authoritarian than Middle or Higher class SES Schools.
- Higher SES had more access to the library with less restrictions
- Access to Technology and Resources is Dramatically Different

The list could go on. So having taught in a school considered 100% free and reduced and now being at a school at 60% there is a huge differences. Here are some more noticeable ones I have witnessed:

 - I have received more parent emails and calls in the first quarter of the school year than perhaps my 3 years I taught at the 100% school.  I also believe part of this is not because parents do not care about their children, but because the school that was 100% was rural and internet access was difficult to get for some areas. (This brings up a whole topic on the Gov. Idea on access to technology)

- The library is open to students as a learning center. Students can come and go at teacher will to check out books, work on projects, have a quiet place, take tests, etc. And there is no questioning who can go, when, or if it's open. It's always an option.

- Homework comes in at a much higher rate in a 60% school instead of 100%.

- Technology, Professional Development, Etc is much more available at a 100% due to government grants and special allotments of money.

-The prevalence of name brands/trends is beyond noticeably different

- This is Just a Note: It is striking to think that teachers at the 60% feel their students come from poverty, but it is a world apart from a school with 100%

I am sure I will have more to add to this topic as more come to mind, but perhaps those are a few that have stood out to me the most.

Here is a link as provided by the APA on SES Differences: http://www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/publications/factsheet-education.aspx
This post will have a second segment at a later date.

Comments

Popular Posts